February 28, 2016 2:50pm
On Friday, February 19, 2016, Google confirmed changes to the layout for search results viewed on the desktop. The text ads in the right sidebar will no longer show and as many as four text ads will display above the organic listings and three text ads will show at the bottom of the page. The changes have been in testing for several years.
What Is Changing?
Changes to Google's layout pertain to the desktop view of search results on Google.com and Google search partners.
- Text ads will not be shown on the right side of search results
- Four sponsored ads instead of three will now be at the top over the organic results.
- Three text ads will show at the bottom of the search results (SERPs).
- The total number of text ads will shrink from as many as 11 to a maximum of seven.
- Google Product Listings and Knowledge Panels (sometimes with ads) will show on the right side on relevant search queries.
- Updates will roll out globally.
How will this affect advertisers?
Will this mean the top sponsored ads will cost more?
Since the total number of ads are reducing, we expect advertisers will pay more for ad space on Google or will be more specific with their campaign placements.
Will advertisers want to be at the bottom of the page for advertisements?
It may prove to be better to work on the Organic listings, Google Maps and other placements that usually come higher in the page.
The impact will have to wait for data to become available in Google Adwords and statistics. But the impact will mean advertisers will have less space at the top and will need to make sure they have other avenues to be in the top fold. For instance, having your business show up in the Google Maps and has Reviews will help a lot.
Also considering whether to add your product inventory into the Google Product Listings depends on the type of business you have. It is another way to advertise and be in the top fold.
Call 713-477-6161 or contact us to work on your advertising strategy.